Fission – Developer Advocate
The Fission project is hiring a developer advocate.
Fission is an open source project that implements a Functions as a Service (“FaaS”) framework on Kubernetes. A FaaS framework takes functions and turns them into deployed services on a cluster. In other words, it takes care of packaging, versioning, monitoring, scheduling, etc. FaaS and “serverless” frameworks are an emerging field that promises to substantially improve the field of application development and operations over the next few years.
You can read more about the project at:
Past talks are at:
What would a Fission developer advocate do?
As developer advocate, technical evangelist and community engineer, you’ll have many responsibilities:
- Interact with people who are using Fission, or people who might find it useful. Drive Fission adoption by creating compelling talks and demos. Understand what use cases are important, identify when Fission is relevant to them, and show how it is.
- Create sample apps, write blog posts, create tutorials, speak at conferences and meetups, and publish video demos.
- Influence the Fission roadmap, particularly the developer experience, based on your interactions with users
- Identify strategic partnership opportunities to grow our developer community.
We’re looking for someone who is:
- Creative, empathetic, and an excellent communicator
- Confident and comfortable presenting to different types of audiences, large and small.
- Adept at communicating technically complicated topics simply and elegantly.
- Strong hands-on developer who is comfortable with full-stack development.
- Eager to learn new technologies in a rapidly evolving field.
- Intellectually curious, with great problem-solving skills.
- Happy to travel regularly.
- Able to work as part of a team and treat others with respect and kindness. We have a code of conduct and you will be expected to abide by it: Fission Code of Conduct
Technologies used in Fission
We use the following technologies; we have no minimum experience required for any of them, but you will need to learn them relatively quickly on the job, if you’re not already familiar with them.
- The Go programming language
- Docker containers
- A bit of NodeJS and Python
About Platform9 Systems
Platform9 makes cloud-hosted management systems for open source software on customer infrastructure. Many of our customers operate their own hardware, and use Platform9 to deploy, upgrade and support Openstack and/or Kubernetes on their hardware. Others use Platform9 to manage virtual machine or container workloads on AWS, GCP or Azure while some use a hybrid of on-premise and public cloud infrastructure. In other words, Platform9 enables its customers to get the most out of their cloud infrastructure in the least amount of time.
We’re a 4 year old company with approximately 50 employees currently. We work on a variety of customer infrastructure at all ranges of scale, with different virtualization, networking and storage configurations.
You can read more at:
Benefits, and Policies
As a growing startup, Platform9 offers the following benefits:
- Competitive salary and equity
- Comprehensive medical, dental and vision coverage for you and your family
- Disability Benefits
- Paid parental leave
- Relocation support
- 401(k) plan
- Flexible work hours
- Flexible vacation policies
- Catered lunches
- On-site massages
What to expect from the interview process
- If you have questions you’d like answered before you apply, feel free to reach out to Soam Vasani on http://slack.fission.io.
- If you’re interested, please send us:
- A resume
- A short paragraph or two about why you want to work on Fission
- A link to something you’ve written explaining some technology. This could be a blog, a tutorial, documentation or anything else
- Work sample – If we think you’ll be a good fit, you’ll be given a short assignment to complete, which is designed to take a few hours of your time. You’ll be given plenty of time to chose when to do this.
- Phone interview – If you pass the work sample test, we’ll conduct a phone interview. In this interview we’ll talk about your past experience, interests and try to assess if your background is a good fit.
- In-person interview – If the phone interview goes well, we’ll invite you to the Platform9 office for an in-person conversation with our team.
- After this we’ll contact you promptly with a decision either way.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.Apply Now