Box Adopts Platform9’s OpenStack-Based Private Cloud Solution
Enables DevOps Efficiency Across Two Datacenters for Multiple Developer, QA and IT Teams
Sunnyvale, CA – January 5, 2016 – Platform9, the company making private clouds easy, today announced that Box, a leading enterprise content management and collaboration platform, has adopted Platform9’s solution to streamline development and accelerate delivery of new products and features.
“If anyone understands the value of ease-of-use, it’s Box. They are passionate about delivering an easy, collaborative experience to their customers, and it’s a value that transcends their entire operation,” said Madhura Maskasky, Platform9 co-founder and vice president of products. “At Platform9, we share Box’s commitment to the simplicity of our user experience, combined with a laser focus on the open APIs and enterprise readiness that are so critical to the operational efficiencies of private clouds; and we’re therefore delighted to be powering Box’s growth by providing their private cloud platform.”
Box provides software that makes it easy for more than 40 million users at more than 50,000 organizations around the world to share and collaborate. Internally, Box’s IT productivity team is responsible for making life easier for developers and quality assurance (QA) professionals who build and test Box products. They believed a private cloud was the best approach for satisfying the needs of these internal customers, providing them self-service access to the infrastructure resources needed for their projects.
After evaluating multiple options, the Box team decided Platform9’s Managed OpenStack solution was ideal for their requirements. Platform9’s SaaS-based offering now serves Box’s engineering and operations teams across two regional datacenters.
- Improve productivity. Box has enabled self-service provisioning and automated workflows for developers and QA accessing infrastructure across two datacenters, enabling developers to focus on the application lifecycle, not the underlying infrastructure.
- Improve flexibility. Because Platform9 is based on OpenStack, developers have access to OpenStack’s rich set of OpenStack REST APIs, as well as libraries and major automation frameworks to accelerate the development-test-release pipeline.
- Reduce costs. With Platform9, Box is able to swap targeted workloads to save money.
- Reduce complexity. Because of Platform9’s simplicity, Box was able to setup and deploy its private cloud in minutes, not months. Further, Platform9 removes day-to-day management of the private cloud control plane, removing the need for specialized OpenStack knowledge on the Box team.
- Reduce risk. Box IT administrators exercise full control of their virtualized infrastructure and are able to manage it with the tools of their choice. IT also has control over allocation policies and quotas, ensuring that developers consume resources within agreed-upon bounds.
Platform9’s mission is to make private clouds easy for organizations of any scale. The company’s service transforms an organization’s existing servers into an AWS-like agile, self-service on-premise cloud within minutes, enabling organizations small or large to run their private clouds efficiently, at scale, while leveraging the latest open source innovations. Powered by OpenStack, the service is the industry’s first 100% cloud-managed platform for KVM, VMware vSphere and Docker. Founded in 2013 by a team of early VMware engineers, Platform9 is backed by Menlo Ventures and Redpoint Ventures and headquartered in Sunnyvale, Calif. For more information, visit: https://platform9.com, or follow Platform9 on Twitter @platform9sys.
Media and Analyst Contact:
Bateman Group PR for Platform9