In the first 3 parts of this series, we’ve taken a look at what is required to move your legacy virtual machines – like those on VMware – to Kubernetes and KubeVirt. In this final post, we’ll examine how Platform9’s proven solution, incorporating KubeVirt as part of its open-source stack, can bring your organization significant cost savings while increasing operational efficiency.
Platform9 Can Help You Reduce the Cost of Legacy Virtual Machines by as much as 50%
In today’s tight economy, as CEOs and CFOs step in to assess costs at all levels, IT leaders are faced with a number of challenging tasks, including controlling cloud costs, lowering legacy vendor license fees, optimizing staffing, and improving operational efficiencies.
Platform9 has been working on making KubeVirt robust, scalable, and enterprise ready. Our latest version of Platform9 KubeVirt is capable of fully replacing multiple VMware products in a unified platform without the need for multiple products, licenses, and complicated integration and support needs and saving enterprises significant money.
Platform9 can help enterprises migrate 100s and even 1000s of virtual machines from legacy virtualization products, driving down costs in several ways:
- No need to invest in new hardware: You can leverage your existing infrastructure with Platform9, eliminating the need for costly hardware investments.
- Cost-effective off-premises solution: Our partnership with Rackspace enables you to move to an off-premises environment for a fraction of the cost of public cloud. Save compared to enormous public cloud bills by repatriating back to this environment.
- Save on license fees: Our unified stack, including container management, virtualization, bare metal, monitoring, alerting, and more means you no longer need multiple legacy products, saving you license fees. We charge by the node, unlike other legacy management products that have moved or are moving to core-based pricing, which can easily double or triple your licensing bill.
- Built-in automation: Our platform automates several processes, reducing operational costs.
You’ll be able to see value quickly with Platform9, as well. Our rollout process can have you in production in as little as 6 weeks.
- We’ll gather inputs to generate your initial TCO analysis report, and review it with your team.
- Next, we’ll create a personalized TCO & Architecture workshop, including a 1-day onsite meeting and culminating in an in-depth report and recommendations for platform architecture.
- A POC follows, either on-site or virtually, migrating a sample workload with use case validation, followed by an executive review.
- A production rollout is next, scaling out environments and beginning to migrate workloads identified during the workshop.
You could consider your other choices, which all have disadvantages:
- Stay with the VMware system and cut costs in other ways (such as reducing staff) which will have an impact on your operational SLA.
- Hire an expensive consultant or SI to assist you with the migration effort. Most of these companies employ dozens of consultants to do this work manually. Even if these are offshore, you will end up footing a large bill and experience a long wait before you see value for these efforts.
- Switch to a different legacy virtualization provider, but that may not result in any significant cost savings or, certainly, not the modernization benefits that Kubernetes and KubeVirt provide.
- Move your virtual machines to the public cloud, but this is now proving to be much more expensive.
Platform9 has the expertise, automation tools, and robust, proven Kubernetes and KubeVirt products to help you make a smooth transition. To learn more about how Platform9 can help your organization save up to 50% on legacy VM management costs, we encourage you to reach out to the experts at Platform9. With our in-depth knowledge and experience, we can provide a free consultation tailored to your specific needs. Bring a sample VM image, and our experts will demonstrate how to migrate it to KubeVirt.
Unlock the benefits of KubeVirt for your organization’s virtualization needs. Schedule a call with our experts, who can help you understand what a transition project might look like and how much you could save using Platform9 and KubeVirt for your VMs.
- Understanding KVM’s role in modern cloud environments - January 24, 2024
- Tackling Kubernetes Underutilization: Cutting EKS Costs by 50% - January 3, 2024
- Unveiling the future of AI/ML deployments at KubeCon 2023 with Platform9 - October 17, 2023